To set up streams for the first time, you must create a stream depot and
create and populate a mainline stream.
To create a stream depot:
To create the mainline stream:
- Launch P4Admin (from P4V, choose Tools > Administration) and
connect to the Perforce service as a user that has admin privilege.
- Choose File > New...> Depot, specify a name for the stream
depot, and click OK. The Depot dialog is displayed.
- For Depot Type, choose stream.
- Click OK, and verify that your new stream depot is listed in the
To populate your mainline stream:
- Launch P4V and connect to the Perforce service where you want your
streams to reside.
- Choose File > New > Stream... The Stream dialog is
- Specify the name ("main" or "mainline" is a good descriptive choice),
depot, and root folder. Omit parent (the mainline has none). For stream
type, choose "mainline".
- Click OK to save your stream specification.
- Verify that your new mainline stream is displayed in the Streams tab.
Note that the mainline stream is not displayed in the Depot tab until you
populate it with files.
For more information, see Creating
- Copy the desired files and folders to the root folder of the workspace
you just created (the mainline stream).
- In P4V, switch to the left-pane Workspace tab. Your files are displayed
undecorated (that is, as plain file icons), which indicates that they are
not under Perforce control.
- Context-click the top-level folder and choose Mark for Add... P4V
displays the Select Pending Changelist dialog.
- Click OK. In the Pending Changelists tab, verify that your files
are listed in the default changelist, decorated with a red plus sign.
- Context-click the default changelist and choose Submit... The
Submit Changelist dialog is displayed.
- Enter a descriptive comment and click Submit.
Note: As an alternative, you can populate streams by integrating
files from existing depot locations.
To verify that your files have been submitted, check the Log pane at the
bottom of the screen and the left-pane Depot tab. If your submission succeeded,
your files are listed in the mainline folder in your stream depot. Now you can
branch the files in the mainline to development and release streams, edit files
in those streams, and propagate changes among them.