September 7, 2008
Is 99.9% Good Enough?
Google the phrase "99.9% is good enough" and see what comes back. For the most part you will uncover the following list:Email sign up
- $761,900 will be spent in the next 12 months on tapes and compact disks that won't play.
- 1,314 phone calls will be misplaced by telecommunications services every minute.
- 103,260 income tax returns will be processed incorrectly this year.
- 107 incorrect medical procedures will be performed today.
- 114,500 mismatched pairs of shoes will be shipped this year.
- 12 babies will be given to the wrong parents every day.
- 14,208 defective personal computers will be shipped this year.
- 18,322 pieces of mail will be mishandled in the next hour.
- 2 million documents will be lost by the IRS this year.
- 2 plane landings at Chicago O'Hare will be unsafe.
- 2.5 million books will be shipped in the next 12 months with the wrong cover.
- 20,000 incorrect drug prescriptions will be written in the next 12 months.
- 22,000 checks will be deducted from the wrong bank accounts in the next 60 minutes.
- 268,500 defective tires will be shipped this year.
- 291 pacemaker operations will be performed incorrectly this year.
- 3,056 copies of tomorrow's Wall Street Journal will be missing one of three sections.
- 5,517,200 cases of soft drinks will be shipped flat this year.
- 880,000 credit cards will be produced with incorrect magnetic strips.