May 21, 2010
How TestTrack Time Tracking Works
TestTrack includes built-in time tracking features that make it easy to manage estimates, get updates on actual and remaining effort, and gain insight from the data about project status. You can track and report on time for specific items or across all items in a project—all directly in TestTrack. Before you configure time tracking, it is important to have a basic understanding of how it works, including the available data, how values are captured and calculated, and where you can view the data.
Available time tracking dataYou can capture, group, and calculate the following time tracking data:
- Estimated hours—Approximate number of total hours it should take to complete an item.
- Actual hours—Actual number of hours it takes to complete an item.
- Remaining hours—Estimated number of hours needed to complete an item from its current state.
- Percent done—Percentage of work completed compared to the remaining hours reported.
- Variance—Difference between the number of actual hours and remaining hours compared to the estimated hours. A positive variance indicates an activity is taking more time to complete than the estimate and a negative variance indicates it is taking less time.