July 28, 2009
Visual Studio and Surround SCM
Recently I wrote a post on the .MySCMServerInfo file, and I mentioned that one of its uses is the IDE integration. In this post, I am going to break this down a little further, and explain the Visual Studio integration with Surround SCM in more detail. For more information, read the Surround SCM-Visual Studio integration instructions or watch a quick video of the integration in action. One way to look at this integration is that there are two main pieces:Email sign up
- The piece that tells Visual Studio that Surround SCM is the selected source code control provider.
- The piece that Surround SCM uses to know which branch and repository to bind to.
- The source control provider is set at the solution/project level. Some users have told me that they have selected the source control provider of their choice, but when they open a solution/project, the source control provider is changed. This is because the solution/project that is being opened has a reference to a different source control provider.
- Uninstalling a source control provider will not automatically unbind your solution/projects.
- If you change the provider make sure that the solution and/or project files are checked in. Remember that the references to the provider are part of the file content and must be checked in for those changes to be available to other users or next time you check out or get the solution/project.
- Open the solution/project.
- Select Tools > Options.
- Under Source Control, set the Current source control plug-in: to 'none'.
- Save the solution/project.
- Close the solution/project.
- Re-open the solution/project. You should not get any message about source control. Also, in the solution explorer, there shouldn't be any source control icons.
- If there aren't any traces left of the old source control provider, then you can go back to Tools > Options and under Source Control, select the desired source control provider.
- Save the solution/project and bind/rebind to source control and check it in.