P4Web Release Notes
2000.1 Beta - Nov. 9, 2000
Limitations and Known Problems
Thank you for trying out the beta test version of
P4Web, the web-enabled Perforce user interface.
During the beta test period, we will be making
incremental improvements to P4Web that may change
its appearance and behavior.
If you haven't already downloaded your P4Web beta
software, please submit a
P4Web Beta Test Request
for information about downloading.
P4Web is documented in
"How to Use P4Web"
and in embedded help files.
(During the beta test period, the embedded help files may
not be as up-to-date as the web site links.)
P4Web works with a Perforce Depot Server at Release 99.2 or higher.
P4Web works with any web browser. Some older browsers
do not provide the authentication support needed by P4Web;
those browsers can be used only when P4Web is running
as a read-only "Viewer".
On Windows and Unix, you must have p4
(the Perforce command line client program) installed
in order to interactively resolve files from within P4Web.
On Macintosh, Unix, and Windows, P4Web can launch an editor.
Which editor it launches is determined by the
startup environment of the p4web executable,
as described in
"How to Use P4Web."
You must set P4EDITOR before running p4web
to control which editor is launched.
- Macintosh startup configuration dialog now available
- Support for changing filetypes added
- Support for "Show opened files -- all clients" added
- 4454 fixed: case mismatch in username makes authentication fail
- 4446 fixed: trailing "?=" in file content URLs prevents some browsers from recognizing file suffix
- 4326 fixed: can't see filetype of opened files
- 4507 fixed: can't diff opened binary files
- 4267 fixed: p4web doesn't check for port in use before starting up
- Label spec and branch spec list pages available
- "Recent activity" display now optional, not shown by default
- 4443 fixed: wrong "Go To" menu items shown in Viewer mode
- Support for moving opened files between pending changelists added
- 3532 fixed: no way to delete an empty pending changelist
- 4426 fixed: maxresults error prevents display of links to subdirectories
- 4376 fixed: Changing settings to bad port prevents access to settings page.
- Startup command flags & arguments have changed --
run p4web -h for info.
- Support for "integrate" added
- Interactive "resolve" available on Windows and Unix
- Hide/show files now available
- 4337 fixed: "return to browser" button now returns to file browser page too
- 4296 fixed: showing command results in file browser page invited futile refresh/reload
- 4291 fixed: attempt to show filelog on path (via URL) gave mangled results
- 4261 fixed: no "all files" option in "revert" form
- 4222 fixed: "open for delete" showed empty "options" heading
- 4219 fixed: "show" menu operations caused inconsistent page titles
- 4212 fixed: shortcuts worked on "matching files" not on current path
- 4167 fixed: on Mac, client root field was displayed incorrectly
- 4132 fixed: invalid URL crashed p4web
- 4100 fixed: attempted to launch editor even if browser and workspace on different machines
- 4086 fixed: p4web crashed trying to launch editor on non-existent file
- 4085 fixed: p4web crashed when certain wildcard mappings occured in client views
- 4049 fixed: some help file links not working in IE5
- 4032 fixed: path browser margins not lining up
- 3993 fixed: p4web doesn't pick a default port address; requires user to supply one
- 3937 fixed: deleted files not on workspace show up with "synced" icon
- 3654 fixed: on Mac, client root field was cleared every time client edit page was shown
- 3568 fixed: password help file now displayed at authentication error
- 3415 fixed: on Mac, now outputs a message if p4web.config file can't be found
- 3247 fixed: drop-down menus weren't pre-selected
- Introductory Help files added
- Path browser shows file revision and type info
- Interactive resolve available on Mac
- Editor launch support added
- Configuration Settings page added
- Support for MIME display of file content
- Support for extended filelog (filelog -i)
- 3843 fixed: authentication problems on Unix
- The File Browser offers shortcut buttons for common file operations.
- 3421, 3491 fixed: Macintosh memory allocation problems.
- P4Web's "Client mode/depot mode" concept has been replaced with
client/depot view preferences available in the Path Browser's
Now you can view mapped files you're not synced to yet.
(Same as what you see in P4Win.)
- 3494 fixed: Offline remote depots prevent viewing top level path.
- 3426 fixed: "Error: //* - must refer to client 'clientname'"
- 3399 fixed: No "resolve" page help
- 3252 new: Support for browse-only P4Web.
- 3011 fixed: P4Web stops running (or won't start up) if it can't
connect to a Perforce server
- 3438 fixed: No "unlock" help
- 3378 fixed: Problems with diff output page
- 3433 fixed: Mangled $Id examples in help pages
The following operations will be supported in a future release:
- Doing single-file or single-directory operations from Path Browser page
- A "change filetypes" operation
- Diffing non-consecutive file revisions
- Working with jobs, labels, branches
- Changing user name and/or password from the Settings page (2957)
- Showing unintegrated file state in Path Browser and File Browser
- Automated installation, startup, and launch of P4Web
Limitations and Known Problems
- The "launch editor" and "launch interactive resolve" features
are only available when your browser and your P4Web Helper are running
on the same host machine.
- Some help file links don't work, and some help files are
incomplete and/or inconsistent.
- The "launch editor" command doesn't finish sending data
to your browser until you exit the editor. This could
cause your browser to pop up an annoying time-out message
if you spend a long time in the editor.
Also, some browsers seem to go into a tight loop waiting for the
rest of the data. (As a workaround, you can click your
browser's "stop" button.)
- Neither "Revert" button nor "Revert if unchanged" operation work
on files opened for branch or add. Revert those files with
"Revert even if changed." (3400)
Please Send Us Your Feedback
Your feedback will help us craft a better P4Web.
Please email your comments and bug reports to
Be prepared to tell us:
- The version ID of the P4Web and the browser you were testing with.
(Cut and paste this information from any P4Web page.)
- For bug reports, the URL of the P4Web page in question.
Copyright 2000 Perforce Software
$Id: //depot/r00.1/p4-doc/user/p4webnotes.html#10 $