Total Economic Impact Study Shows Perforce Increases Developer Productivity by 10% – 15%
ALAMEDA, Calif. (June 17, 2014) - Perforce Software today announced the results of a Forrester Consulting Total Economic Impact™ (TEI) study examining the return on investment (ROI) companies can expect when they migrate from legacy version management systems to Perforce. The May 2014 study, conducted by Forrester Consulting and commissioned by Perforce, examines the impact of using Perforce on key elements of a successful business—developer productivity, operating costs and delivery of products/services.
The subjects of the study were four Perforce customers, each a leader in its respective industry. According to the study: “After implementing Perforce Version Control solutions, these organizations were able to cost-effectively support and manage distributed development sites, reduce on-going and administrative costs, achieve greater developer and team productivity, attain greater scalability, and speed up time to market.”
Based on the attributes and experiences of the interviewed companies, Forrester rendered a representative composite organization that achieved “streamlined and fast version management processes, elimination of time wasted waiting for merges, elimination of merge errors, and much more effective distributed support for distributed development.”
The study shows that Perforce version control solutions have a risk-adjusted ROI of 582% and that investments in Perforce pay for themselves in less than four months. Benefits leading to this ROI include:
- Increased Developer Productivity: The composite organization experienced 10% to 15% improvements in developer productivity from deploying Perforce.
- Savings on Hardware. The organization also obtained savings from the elimination of remote servers that were no longer needed with the Perforce solution.
- Reduction of maintenance costs. By migrating to Perforce, the organization was able to discontinue use of its previous legacy version management product over the course of the first year, and thus stop paying the associated ongoing maintenance fees for the software.
- Reduction of custom development and integration. Version management tools often have to interact with other software development tools. The composite organization was able to realize savings from a reduction in custom development and integration requirements that it would have encountered had it chosen an alternative open source solution.
- Savings on administration, support, and training. The organization was able to capture significant savings in FTE resources from the deployment of Perforce as compared to its previous legacy version management solution. Not only did administrative headcount go down, but fewer support and training resources were needed since the Perforce solution was more intuitive and more reliable than the organization’s previous solution.
- Time-to-market savings. By deploying Perforce, the composite organization was able to decrease its time-to-market and increase the number of projects its team could accomplish per year by 25 percent.
“We believe that the numbers from the Forrester TEI study validate what we’ve heard from our customers over the years,” said Ed Horst, vice president of Business Development at Perforce. “In addition to some of the intangible benefits of Perforce, like greater security and scalability, there are many quantifiable benefits that are helping thousands of companies—from Fortune 500 to start-ups—improve their bottom lines and build better products.”
Perforce powers innovation at unrivaled scale. Perforce solutions future-proof competitive advantage by driving quality, security, compliance, collaboration, and speed – across the technology lifecycle. We bring deep domain and vertical expertise to every customer, so nothing stands in the way of success. Our global footprint spans more than 80 countries and includes over 75% of the Fortune 100. Perforce is trusted by the world’s leading brands to deliver solutions to even the toughest challenges. Accelerate technology delivery, with no shortcuts. Get the Power of Perforce.