7 Ways to Ensure Your GameDev Tools Help Rather Than Hinder
Chris Makin is IT infrastructure administrator at Playground Games, maker of the highly successful and award-winning titles Forza Horizon and Forza Horizon 2. Among other things, Chris’ role at Playground includes ensuring that the teams creating the games, whether coders or artists, have a smooth-running working environment and efficient tools.
In a recent Develop magazine article, Chris provided sound advice on how to make sure that tools do their jobs, based on an ethos of "prevention is better than cure."
Here are Chris' 7 tips for proactively getting the most out of your tools:
- Don’t let your tools become DOS attacks
- Badly written and untested tools lead to scripting nightmares
- Splitting code and other assets
- Plan ahead, and assume you’ve under-estimated on what’s needed
- Keep everything on separate drives to manage growth explosions
- Version everything
- Test tools (not just code and assets)
For the complete article, which provides details on each of these tips and suggestions on how to implement them, please visit the Develop website.