May 15, 2008
A Change Is Gonna Come
Conversion can be a tricky business. No one wants to convert from one thing to another. It assumes you were wrong in some way. And you know it’s going to be hard. And what if the new thing isn’t really any better than the old thing? Then all that work was for nothing. It seems like when contemplating a move to a new platform like Surround from an existing one, you go through the seven classic stages of grief.Email sign up
- Disbelief: Can we really move over to a whole new SCM system?
- Denial: It’s just too big a process. Maybe next year.
- Bargaining: Maybe we’re not using are current system right. Let’s try harder.
- Guilt: We’ve got this huge investment. How can I just throw it all away.
- Anger: Why is our current system such a pile? How could a company ship this kind of crud?
- Depression: I’m going to be swamped just installing and understanding this new system for weeks.
- Acceptance: Fine. The sooner we switch over to the new system the sooner I can get back to real work.